Changing perceptions can be accomplished in many different ways. When it comes to public health, facts must play a key role in education, which can lead to change. In 2021, a general lack of vaccine confidence was causing concern and hesitancy among specific communities. UNTHSC partnered with Tarrant County and Schaefer Advertising to assist with vaccine education, communication and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines in North Texas. The primary objective was to reach and convince those who may not have heard, have access to, or are opposed to getting vaccinated.
- Education and awareness in the greater Tarrant County region
- Increase vaccinations in historically underserved markets outlined by Tarrant County:
- Rural communities
- Lower HHI
- Black, Hispanic and Vietnamese neighborhoods
Knowing that education is the first step, we saw an opportunity to engage with community-based organizations, faith leaders and other trusted members of these communities to design a campaign that drove awareness and, most importantly, access. The ultimate goal was to help the public feel informed and confident about getting vaccinated and empower people to make that decision for themselves and their families.
We leveraged in-depth research and population data outlining key neighborhoods and zip codes for localized media placements and outreach events and behavioral trends to reach these audiences with empathetic and culturally relevant messaging backed by science.
Additionally, we implemented proven best practices for copy and visual solutions for reaching these audiences, including simplified text, negative space, multilingual advertising and featuring key members from each target community to build trust.
- Developed a new microsite that served as a resource for community partners, vaccine registration and community education
- Launched a hyper-focused, omnichannel media campaign consisting of OOH, print, direct mail, paid search, social, display, radio, streaming radio and direct buys with local publications directing users to the new microsite
- Partnered with influential members and popular media outlets to not only reach but resonate with each community
- Curated content in three languages to build trust and targeted ads to Spanish and Vietnamese websites and high-traffic neighborhood establishments.
- 127,108,089 total impressions served in our market in just 3 months
- 20,000+ vaccines administered to key zip codes designated as populated with residents who were unaware, unable and/or unwilling to get vaccinated